In this review, we’re going to take a closer look at one such steamer that’s been doing the rounds on Instagram – the Vanity Planet Aira Facial Steamer, and see if it really does work to give you clean, clearer skin.
Using steam for clear, healthy skin has been around for centuries – at least since the Romans built public baths. But nowadays, we can steam without relying on geothermal heat – or even leaving the house, using a home steamer.
Personal facial steamers are designed to give you the ‘steam room’ experience without having to travel to a salon or spa. But the effectiveness of these home devices can vary. How well they work depends on how hot they get, and whether they can dispense steam powerfully enough to mimic spa conditions.
Table of Contents
Space-Age Beauty Tech
You’d be forgiven if the first thing that comes out of your mouth upon seeing the Vanity Planet Ionic Steamer is “wow”!
An egg-shaped chrome and rose gold orb, this is a space-age yet simple piece of beauty technology that seeks to replicate the luxury of a high-end spa at home.
This elegant home steamer isn’t just a vapor distributor. It uses an ion generator to enrich the water molecules it dispenses. This is said to allow deeper penetration for more powerful cleansing.
Its a simple, straight forward device and easy to use. It also comes in two colors, a rose-gold or beige.
Benefits of the Vanity Planet Aira Face Steamer
There are several benefits for skin from steaming your face apart from the fact it is a relaxing and pampering experience.
- Opens and clears pores. This allows you to fully and deeply clear your pores of dirt and grime.
- Clears dead skin cells. Moisture from vaporized water molecules softens the surface layer of dead skin cells on the complexion. This in turn frees trapped dirt and oil that may be blocking your pores. You’ll notice how much softer your skin looks and feels once this rough layer has been removed.
- Stimulates blood flow. The combination of warmth and perspiration dilates blood vessels and boosts circulation, which has rejuvenating and anti-aging benefits.
- Allows increased receptiveness to products. Clear and open pores aid absorption of moisture and nutrients from creams, face masks and serums.
Suitable For All Skin Types
How to Use Vanity Planet Facial Steamer
- Firstly, remove all makeup and cleanse your face. You want to make sure your pores are clear and as clean as possible when they open so dirt doesn’t get further in.
- Fill the removable compartment in the back of the steamer with water to begin. It’s ideal (and recommended) if the water is distilled or filtered. This is not so much for the benefit of your skin, as the heat in the device will sterilize it – but to prevent limescale and build-up, and preserve the lifespan of the device.
- You can also add 1 or 2 drops of your favorite essential oil into the foam bottoms of the attachment pods for a more fragrant, nourishing experience. Now that’s luxury.
- Plug the steamer in and press the power button on the front. You’ll start to see steam coming out almost straight away, but allow 2 minutes for it to heat to its optimal temperature of 43 degrees celsius.
Vanity Planet recommends positioning your face at least 12 inches (a ruler’s length) away from the dispenser. Otherwise, you risk putting stress on your capillaries which can lead to breakage.
The steam dispensation is quite powerful, so if you’re new to the device, you might want to start a bit further back and work your way in!
Does It Work?
Is the Aira Face Steamer Effective?
Due to the quality of the build, this face steamer is able to kick out considerable heat and steam propulsion, making it much more powerful than many mid-range steamers on the market. It’s significantly more effective than a bowl of hot water and a towel over your head!
This level of power also means it can get the job done and provide all the skincare benefits we’ve seen above in as little as 15 minutes. Additionally, it’s angle design allows you to sit comfortably in front of the TV while steaming.
The Aira is an ionic facial steamer meaning the particles of steam are smaller than regular steam particles. They penetrate deeper for better hydration and skin softening.
Some Vanity Planet customers have figured out additional ways of getting the most out of their Aira Steamer. Some have reported using it to evaporate the layer of pollution that sits on the skin after commuting in the city all day.
Others even use it as a hair refresher, to revive the bounce in curly hair that’s been straightened or flattened by headwear. It’s not just effective – it’s a multitasker!
Is The Aria Ionic Steamer Worth It?
Vanity Planet clearly knows their audience well, as the interchangeable, designated foam-based pods for adding essential oils are an excellent way to step up your skincare game.
It’s a rare and thoughtful detail that sets the device a little above similar face steamers on the market.
Using essential oils with a face steamer is not only beneficial for the skin but it can also help to relieve sinus congestion. You get 3 little pods or baskets so you don’t need to overlap oils.
Another huge plus point is the aesthetic, it’s cool! It’s designed to be kept on a bathroom shelf or a bedroom dresser. Definitely not for stashing away in a cupboard. And it’s compact enough not to take up too much room.
It’s a leading-edge piece of beauty technology, and the massive amount of customer reviews and feedback speaks for itself.
Where To Buy Vanity Planet Aira Facial Steamer
Something else that works in its favor is that it’s not as pricey as you might think. Furthermore, you’ll often find a sale or special offer going on. You’ll frequently see a discount code on their site which can save you some money, and who doesn’t like to get a discount!
Also Available on Amazon…
The Aira Face Steamer makes for an amazing birthday or Christmas gift for skincare devotees. But you might find you’ll be tempted to keep it for yourself!
Note ** Before we forget – this is only suitable for 110-127v. Unfortunately, if you’re in Europe this won’t work for you. It does come with a 1 yr warranty but the warranty will not cover any damage that results from the use of a voltage adapter.**
If the Vanity Planet Aira is not a suitable face steamer because of the voltage – check out our list of Best Facial Steamers for Home use here.